Monday, May 20, 2013

Guns & Corndogs


Weird title huh? Speaking of weird.  I looked up the definition of the word "WEIRD", and used as a noun, it actually means “a person’s destiny”! 
What does this have to do with guns and corndogs? Well, let me tell you. 

Today I took my kids to Sonic to get a slushy and Jaxon’s favorite – a corndog (healthy, I know).  While we were waiting, I saw a man walk up and sit at a table and I immediately noticed that he was carrying a gun – very openly, on his belt. I too have a license to carry a gun, but I always conceal mine for fear that someone will see it and decide to make an issue out of it.  For some reason, I had the urge to go up to the man and tell him how much I appreciated his boldness.  Weird, right?  I didn’t know the guy, but I just felt the need to tell him that.  He said thank you, and we both went about our day.  Later, my kids asked me why I went up and talked to a stranger.  My explanation to them was this:
Throughout the years, I have learned (and am still learning) that when God puts something on your heart to do, you DO IT.  Now, I didn’t necessarily feel like GOD was telling me to go talk to that man about his gun, but it was something out of my comfort zone for sure!  I didn’t even tell the man about Jesus in those few seconds, I just felt the need to tell him that his boldness was noticed and appreciated.  Who knows why. It wasn’t even about the gun, really…it was just the fact that I saw someone being BOLD about something they believe in!  He may not have even known the Lord, but he was living out boldness.  Which made me really stop and think about what we as Christ-followers are called to be – Bold, and not just bold, WEIRD. So many verses rush into my mind when I think about this:
2 Timothy 1:7 – For God has not given us a spirit of fear, but of POWER, and of LOVE, and of a sound mind!
Romans 1:16 – For I am not ashamed of the Good News about Jesus Christ!  Is the the power of God at work, saving everyone who believes.
Proverbs 28:1 – The wicked run away when no one is chasing them, but the godly are as BOLD as lions!
Deuteronomy 31:6 (MSG) Be strong. Take COURAGE. Don’t be intimidated. Don’t give them a second thought because God, your God, is striding ahead of you. He’s right there with you. He won’t let you down; he won’t leave you.

I could go on and on sharing scriptures that came to my mind when thinking about our responsibility as Christians – to be bold and spread the love of Jesus. I hear people say all the time “I don’t know what my purpose is…”  Well, I DO!  If you are a Christ-follower, your purpose is to share the Good News with the world - boldly, and unashamed!  This brings me back to the word WEIRD: a person’s destiny.  We are called to be weird!  To live outside our comfort zones, to do something crazy, outside the box for God – no matter how WEIRD it looks to the world.  God works in unconventional ways – I have learned this to be true in my own life. 

As you go out into the world, whether it be at a job, at home, at the store…if God speaks to your heart and tells you to do something, DO IT!  It may not make sense to you (and most of the time it doesn’t) but if God is telling you to do it, there is a reason and you can be sure that HE will get the glory.  Be bold, be courageous, be BRAVE! Be Weird. 

1 comment:

  1. I like! For so many reasons. Thank you for your boldness in sharing this. God was just speaking to me about this very thing earlier today.

    ReplyDelete